Kirjoittaja Aihe: Let's discuss Harry Potter!  (Luettu 3143 kertaa)

0 vuotislaista ja 1 Ankeuttaja kyttää tätä aihetta.

Poissa Affu

• Vuotislainen
  • Sukupuoli: Velho
  • pullamies
  • Tupa: Mary Sue
Vs: Let's discuss Harry Potter!
« Vastaus #50 : Elokuu 08, 2011, 19:42:09 »
I missed the whole pottermorebetaregister thing ): So, who is inside, and what does it look like? Or is it even open? WHAT D:
Im so out of everything :'D

//NYAAAAAAH *goes crazy and eats some curtains*
:_: I WANT TO SEE IT D:
« Viimeksi muokattu: Elokuu 09, 2011, 07:22:58 kirjoittanut Affu »
Skäbädäm.
  Vuotiskoomalainen, epämääräisesti ölisee.
Ananas.

Poissa Suvituuli

• Tsirp tsirp krääk titityy.
  • Vuotislainen
  • Sukupuoli: Noita
  • You're not mating with me, sunshine!
  • Pottermore: AccioDream**
  • Tupa: VOLDEMORT!!!
« Vastaus #51 : Elokuu 08, 2011, 19:52:01 »
So, who is inside, and what does it look like? Or is it even open? WHAT D:
If I'm right, it hasn't opened yet. The registration was closed so little time ago so it probably takes a few days or maybe weeks before anyone gets the welcome-email. Be patient ;)

Btw, could this topic translate to free-talking like Swedish one? It'd be nice to talk more in English :D I know there's a lot of forums in English but it's so much easier to start talking here when nobody is perfect :P (Okay, maybe someone has an amazing language skills but you know what I mean.)
Se hyppi ja pomppi, söi ja nauroi. Se istui ja itki. Se ilmassa leijui.
Outo heppu, kummajainen, vailla mieltä ja ruumista.
Itketään yhdessä, olemattomuudessa, ihan yksin.
Jos sinulle sopii, se minulle käy

Poissa Zabit

• Unessa
  • Kelmitär
  • Tupa: Rohkelikko
« Vastaus #52 : Elokuu 09, 2011, 08:57:18 »
Affu, I think everybody's still waiting for the second email from Pottermore, and they haven't let anyone inside yet.

I'm so excited about Pottermore, and every time I see "1 new message" in hotmail, my hands start shaking and then I check it out and it's an email from Facebook or something... Really annoying. :D I'm really waiting for sorting! It'll be awesome to see what house I belong  there :3 I think I don't get disappointed, anywhere I'll be sorted, and I don't know - if it feels like my own house (or something...), then I start to think that really is.

My english sucks, I know, but maybe it'll get better if I come here to talk. :>
Women and cats will do as they please ˘◡˘

Poissa Blizzard

• Untitled
  • Vuotislainen
  • Tupa: Luihuinen
« Vastaus #53 : Elokuu 13, 2011, 10:45:59 »
That pottermore thingy sounds really interesting! Don't know a thing about it, though :D

This is really random, I guess, but I watched The Half-Blood Prince yesterday and there's this one thing that bothers me. Just before the Death Eaters attack Hogwarts etc. they show the bridge near the school for a while and there's someone standing there. Who? I stopped the film but couldn't recognize him/her, my tv is too small for that...
"Falling is just like flying... except there's a more permanent destination"

Poissa Teetahra

• Kuitupitoinen
  • Vuotislainen
  • Life... loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.
« Vastaus #54 : Elokuu 20, 2011, 17:57:47 »
Oh my god, how come I haven't found this topic before? It's just like made for me :D I've been trying to find a good forum in english, so I could practice my language skills, but it's really hard to find one. I don't really know if i'd like to discuss about some specific interest (like a fandom or a hobby) or just things in general, and some of those forums I've found are otherwise good but have felt really... crappy since I'm so used to Vuotis and the "strict" rules that maintain the quality of messages. *sigh*

So, about Harry Potter then. HP was actually the first book I ever read in another language than in finnish. Now that I think of it, I'm not even sure how old I was back then. Probably in 5th grade. I got Prisoner of Azkaban from our library, and that's how it started :D Since then, I've read all of the Harry Potter books in english.

I really love the finnish translation, and in a way, those have always been the Harry Potter books for me. I do like the originals (of course) too, but since I've read the translations first (except for the last two books which I bought as soon as they came out in english) I'm somehow stuck with the finnish names and such :) Although I have to admit it was reeeeaally hard for me to get use to finnish equivalents for Slughorn and Horcruxes. Kuhnusarvio and Hirnyrkki sounded just so wrong for me for a really long time.

I'm really glad that I decided to read HP in english. I've always been pretty good in english, and for that I can mostly thank books, movies and tv (thank god for subtitles, I hate dubbing!), music and now that I'm older, internet. I've never really had to struggle with learning this language, the learning has happened quite naturally in form of things I rather enjoy doing :)

Now that you have been discussing about the differences between translations, have any of you read HP in another language (other than english, obviously)? I visited France this summer, when I was Interrailing, and decided to buy Prisoner of Azkaban in french (in order to make my french better). But now that I've been reading it, I don't really know if I like it or not. I feel like the translator has been really lazy doing his/her job and the book just feels much more like an children's book than other translations I've read. I don't know if it's just my poor french (I dunno, could be that I just don't get all the details and such) or why I can't find the book enjoyable. For example, Snape is translated as "Rogue" which (thank's dictionary!) is about the same as "arrogant" o.o yyeah. I kinda get it, Snape does in a way come off as arrogant person. Also Knight Bus is "Magicobus", which just seems plain lazy translation to me. I don't really fancy "La Gazette du Sorcier" either. Some of the names aren't translated and some are, it just seems really random. Some of the names have also been changed just partially, like "Drago Malefoy" or "Gryffondor". Could be tha't it's to make them easier to pronounce or something, but I still don't quite get it. Really annoying.

Just have to say that I simply love the idea of this topic. I feel so much more comfortable with discussing with familiar people :D Also, I've been feeling that my english has gotten worse lately. Maybe it's because I have had to do anything in english (like write or talk), since I haven't been to school in the past year (gap year, wohoo). Maybe this topic will prevent my english from getting completely crappy. Also, I quite like the idea of turning this topic to general discussion, not just HP stuff, like someone suggested.

Sorry about the mind-blowingly long post. I obviously have no idea how to control myself :D

Poissa Arende

• hahtuvahaave
  • Vuotislainen
  • Pottermore: PotionGhost22203
« Vastaus #55 : Lokakuu 19, 2011, 22:11:11 »
Oh my, I just have to say it. It bothers me so much. The topic, there should be "about", I mean: "Let's discuss about Harry Potter". Now it looks like someone is yelling at Harry Potter and saying: "let's discuss now, you little bastard!". That's a funny image in my head now, but I think this topic was suppose to be more discussing about Harry Potter, not trying to discuss with Harry Potter :P
Ihana asia minusta on, et ihana olen vain

Poissa Aiëdaíl

• Näätärikkaus
  • Valvojaoppilas
  • Tupa: Korpinkynsi
« Vastaus #56 : Lokakuu 19, 2011, 22:43:55 »
Oh my, I just have to say it. It bothers me so much. The topic, there should be "about", I mean: "Let's discuss about Harry Potter". Now it looks like someone is yelling at Harry Potter and saying: "let's discuss now, you little bastard!". That's a funny image in my head now, but I think this topic was suppose to be more discussing about Harry Potter, not trying to discuss with Harry Potter :P
Sorry to ruin your feeling of superiority, but you're wrong. 'About' is not used with 'discuss'. 'To have a discussion [noun] about the matter' is correct, and so is 'to discuss [verb] the matter'. Indeed, if the topic was named 'Let's discuss, Harry Potter!', it would sound like yelling at Harry. A comma can make a difference.
« Viimeksi muokattu: Lokakuu 19, 2011, 22:47:32 kirjoittanut Aiëdaíl »

Poissa Arende

• hahtuvahaave
  • Vuotislainen
  • Pottermore: PotionGhost22203
« Vastaus #57 : Lokakuu 19, 2011, 23:07:16 »
Sorry to ruin your feeling of superiority, but you're wrong. 'About' is not used with 'discuss'. 'To have a discussion [noun] about the matter' is correct, and so is 'to discuss [verb] the matter'. Indeed, if the topic was named 'Let's discuss, Harry Potter!', it would sound like yelling at Harry. A comma can make a difference.

Damn, I so liked the feeling that I knew something :( That sounds like an exception of a rule and I was always very bad at grammar. I just go with what sounds best to my ear and I'm still thinking that I would like to add that "about" between the words :D Oh well...

So that this wouldn't be a total off topic, I want to ask you people who have read all Potters in english, does the langauge change a bit towards the last books? I started to read the books in finnish again and I'm reading now the Prisoner of Azkaban and I have noticed that the language is very different compared to the Philosopher's Stone. I think it's because the books are written in Harry's point of view and as Harry grows older of course his vocabulary gets wider and so the language starts to sound more "adult", if you know what I mean? Like the first books are writen more as a "children's book" and the last ones as an "adult's book". I'm not sure if I make any sense now :D Just wanted to bring out my observation (:
Ihana asia minusta on, et ihana olen vain

Poissa Whatsername

• nuottiavaimen säilyttäjä
  • Vuotislainen
  • Just look up to the stars and believe who you are.
  • Pottermore: HexLeviosa139
  • Tupa: Puuskupuh
« Vastaus #58 : Lokakuu 30, 2011, 23:24:36 »
Lainaus
So that this wouldn't be a total off topic, I want to ask you people who have read all Potters in english, does the langauge change a bit towards the last books? I started to read the books in finnish again and I'm reading now the Prisoner of Azkaban and I have noticed that the language is very different compared to the Philosopher's Stone. I think it's because the books are written in Harry's point of view and as Harry grows older of course his vocabulary gets wider and so the language starts to sound more "adult", if you know what I mean? Like the first books are writen more as a "children's book" and the last ones as an "adult's book". I'm not sure if I make any sense now :D Just wanted to bring out my observation (:

Yes, i have noticed this as well. :) I'm not sure but i think that i read from somewhere that Rowling told that first books are more for children, so that's why the sentences are shorter etc... But i just always thought that it's because Harry is a child in the first books, and when he grows up, his vocabulary gets wider (like you said :D) Like, if you compare Philosopher's Stone and Deathly Hallows, you can see that PS is clearly meant for children, but DH is more for young adults/adults. I hope that somebody understood that. :D But has anybody else noticed that the text is bigger in the english books than in the finnish books? :O That's why i prefer reading english Potters, because it's nicer to read it because of the bigger font size. :)
Siriusly,that's riddikulus!

Poissa Presto

• Mozartin kummipoika
  • Vuotislainen
  • ilovepasta.org
  • Pottermore: GhostDragon1391
« Vastaus #59 : Toukokuu 05, 2012, 11:15:32 »
Do we have to discuss only Harry Potter here, or can we discuss anything like in the Swedish-topic? It would be nice. :>

Well, I have read the first two of the books in English, and I think it was quite difficult. But it was still less difficult than I had imagined. I decided not to read the other books yet in English, because I'll enjoy them a lot more when I'm better to speak and read English.

I really liked the first two of the books, especially Chamber of Secrets. It's interesting, because I think the same book in Finnish is the most boring Harry Potter book. :D

I of course appreciate Jaana Kapari-Jatta's hard work for the books, but in my opinion Rowling's (I first wrote 'Riwkubks') original, English books are the best. Or at least the first two of them. x)
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
                        Stalkkaan sinua.

Poissa Affu

• Vuotislainen
  • pullamies
« Vastaus #60 : Toukokuu 05, 2012, 17:53:42 »
[off]I think we shuold get an area for english potter stuff, like if a person who doesnt understand finnish joins vuotis, s/he would be able to chat with finnish potter fans. Well.. or maybe not x3[/off]

Jesus christ (superstar), the last potter was AWESOME! :D I shall start reading deh books again, in english. Havent touched in potter world for a while, those lucky bastards.

//
Lainaus
Affu, I'm sure english-speakers do have their own Potter-forums :P 
Khkh, fphf, khgrgh, No they dont! Duh. *divasnap*
« Viimeksi muokattu: Toukokuu 05, 2012, 22:51:07 kirjoittanut Affu »
Skäbädäm.
Ananas.

Poissa nominal

• Kuriositeetti
  • Vuotislainen
  • Pottermore: FireboltLumos114
« Vastaus #61 : Toukokuu 05, 2012, 20:26:07 »
Why do I always miss all the good topics here? :D

Anyway, I have, too, read all the Potter books in English. I actually own them all as well. When I was about 15 years old, I bought the books one and two, and ordered the third one, since it was not available then. Then we went to London with my friend, and in the book store there was a discount: three books at the price of two. Gaah! I simply had to buy the books number four, five and six :D The bad thing was to carry them back to Finland...

Well, this all lead to the fact that I have three different types of Harry Potter books in English, and it still annoys me. Two of them are adult-covered paperbacks, one of them is paperback in American English (hate it), three of them are children-covered paperbacks and one of them is children-covered (I guess?) and has hard back. I would have loved to have them all suitable to each other, but no, destiny was against me! :D

I personally cannot decide which Harry Potter I like the best, Finnish or English. Both have their good sides (: Finnish translations are amazingly good, and it is great to read them since you can understand every single word. But still, English ones are the originals, and in that way "the right ones". Rowling is such a good writer that she has put all the little details that I cannot understand, and so it is great that in the translations all the jokes have been "re-made" in a way.
Peitetty liekki on tulisin ~ Entä jos Voldemort olisikin valinnut toisin? ~ Taikalaiva Titanic

Poissa Flyrashaz

• sub rosa
  • Vuotislainen
  • Northern Light
    • Livejournal
« Vastaus #62 : Toukokuu 05, 2012, 20:31:58 »
Affu, I'm sure english-speakers do have their own Potter-forums :P 

There have been a really long time since I last time read the whole series of Potter -books. :( Ashf, not good at all. I've been fan since I was on second grade, like 8 years old so it's a shame I havent read the books. And god I was disappointed at the Pottermore. Okey, it was pretty cool and I loved the world they had created, it was funny to make the potions but the spellthing was quite.. well, awful. :D It worked but it was pretty boring. And I really hate the fact there's no "world" made for the rest of the books, I clicked the first book through like in few hours or less? I just can't find enough doing. :<

And me too have been thinking of reading Potter in English. The language cant be SO difficult, 'cause I've read the books million times in Finnish -> I remember the stories really well. :D And when DH came out, 2007, I was only twelve and like an less than year after it came out, I started reading it in English 'cause I couldn't wait for the finnish one. I read it 300 pages and now, few years lateer, I'm sure I could read them upside down.
"Oh, the bad guy of the game, me, you're not serious, I'm... umm... fortuneteller!"

Poissa Yamiska

• Potterin lempiponi
  • Vuotislainen
  • My Little Harry
  • Pottermore: ThestralRook142
« Vastaus #63 : Toukokuu 09, 2012, 10:24:56 »
Aah! I think this is a very good time to join you in this discussion!

I, too, have read all the Potter books in English. I first tried reading OotP but at that time my English was so poor that I hardly understood anything. I really didn't enjoy it so I stopped and waited the translation. Then, thank god, my English got better and I read books six and seven as I couldn't wait the translations. Last year I bought all the books as paperbacks with the new white covers (I just adore them!). And I think the books are just wonderful in English! Even though I've read all of them in Finnish god knows how many times they still felt quite new. There were those little things that just weren't present in the translation. One thing is the use of 'sir', for example. And several other things that deepened my experience.

Now I've been listening to them in English as audio books. I love them even more. Stephen Fry is just amazing. I'm really having a hard time not to laugh out loud in the bus while I listen. I laughed already as I read the books in Finnish (and in English too, of course!) but the way Fry acts out all the characters is just wonderful! And the audio books are also good to pick up the British accent.

As I read the books I didn't really pay that much attention to the language and how it possibly changed over the books. My style of reading books in English is to pick up few new words from here and there and start using them myself. But now that you guys have pointed out the changing language thing, I'm gonna pay attention to it the next time I read them. :)

And no, the language really isn't that difficult. I could understand it just fine when I read HBP the first time. That time I had learned all my English in middle school (I really didn't learn anything useful in elementary school).

Poissa nominal

• Kuriositeetti
  • Vuotislainen
  • Pottermore: FireboltLumos114
« Vastaus #64 : Toukokuu 09, 2012, 13:41:04 »
I, too, have noticed the change of language in the books. To me it is very natural: first Harry is younger, then he gets older. The language, and the way he looks at the world, changes. And also, as Harry gets older, he experiences more, and this changes a little bit the target audience as well. So it is possible to use different, more mature, language.

Yamiska, what kind of new white cover? o_o I tried to find it at Google, but I could not. Do you have (or can someone else find) a picture? I would very much like to see! (:
Peitetty liekki on tulisin ~ Entä jos Voldemort olisikin valinnut toisin? ~ Taikalaiva Titanic

Poissa Yamiska

• Potterin lempiponi
  • Vuotislainen
  • My Little Harry
  • Pottermore: ThestralRook142
« Vastaus #65 : Toukokuu 09, 2012, 21:11:19 »
Well, they're not THAT new anymore.. Been around for two years now. :P I should've said "the newest editons" or something. I was talking about the signature edition: http://harrypotter.bloomsbury.com/books/harrypotter-book1.

Now I really feel like reading them again and paying attention to the language. :P
« Viimeksi muokattu: Toukokuu 09, 2012, 21:16:44 kirjoittanut Yamiska »

Poissa Affu

• Vuotislainen
  • pullamies
« Vastaus #66 : Joulukuu 20, 2012, 07:43:53 »
Hallo everyone, this topic has been pretty dead for a while. How are you guys? Presents are wrapped and you are all waiting for santa of course?

Oh dear those new(est) book covers look just fantastic, compared to those ones I have, burrrr. Bloomsbury made a huge mistake, they have PHOTOS on the front cover, it doesn't look like potterseries anymore.. Well, the text is (mostly) the same :'D

Skäbädäm.
Ananas.

Poissa unknow

• lukematon lehti
  • Vuotislainen
  • Pottermore: ErisedElm16162
« Vastaus #67 : Joulukuu 20, 2012, 11:40:18 »
I own all the harry potter books in English and in Finnish. Original books I own the paperback version with adult covers.  I love to read them in both languages. Books have phrases / words that work better in English, but translations are done really well. Finnish translation, I don't like expressions like "me mennään" when it should be "me menemme". When I was younger it was hard to read Hagrid's dialect - in the original books. Rowling uses difficult words, so I would not have been able to read books at a younger age in English before the Finnish translation. I always read the book in Finnish first. I own Quidditch through the ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in English. They are still a little challenging. Reading the Potter books in English, I have also started to read other books in English. Also by the fact that they do not have a Finnish translation.
I'm going to do what I want to do. I'm going to be who I really am. I'm going to figure out what that is. -Emma Watson

Poissa Chilisuklaa

• Moony Cullen
  • Vuotislainen
  • I ᒪOᐯᕮ ᗪᗩYᔕ ᗯᕼᕮᑎ ᗰY OᑎᒪY ᑭᖇOᗷᒪᕮᗰ Iᔕ Tᕮᗩ Oᖇ ᑕOᖴᖴᕮᕮ
« Vastaus #68 : Marraskuu 02, 2014, 08:01:33 »
Okay, I'm sure of my text is very much mistakes, but so what? (I'm better to SPEAK in english than WRITe in english...)I love to read Harry Potters in english, because I think they are lot of better than in Finnish. Of course, Jaana Kapari made (?) the translations very well, but I like to read books of they're origional language. <3 And I red Harry Potter -serie in Russian, too. (But it wasn't easy because I'm studing Russian, it was easy because I remember every word of Harry Poter-serie.
But, not more in this time. I hope in 2014 -year somebody else come here and write something... :)
Live your dream, before the nightmares come!

Poissa Kneazl

• Gäätä
  • Vuotislainen
  • Tupa: Puuskupuh
« Vastaus #69 : Marraskuu 29, 2016, 11:12:39 »
I read my first English Harry Potter when I was sixteen (Philosopher's stone, I think). It was pretty hard as I did not have very good English skills. I remember feeling like it took an eternity to read the first page. :D I think in the beginning I was trying to understand every single word and used a dictionary a lot. Later I understood that it is way smoother to read a book in a foreign language when you just go with the flow and read forward filling the gaps with your imagination (and obviously remembering things from the Finnish Harry Potters). So by now I have read several of the books in English.

However, what I like more than reading the books in English, is listening to the books in English. I am not sure why exactly, but I really prefer reading the books in Finnish and listening to the audiobooks in English. I think I enjoy reading them in Finnish because that is the language I first read them in, and somehow it feels coziest to read my good old half broken (some of them), yeallowish paged and homey smelling books in my mature tongue. I mean, hunajaherttua does sound sweeter than honeydukes doesn't it?

Also, I am sorry to admit it, but I simply can't stand the Finnish audiobooks. They just... Sound so fake to me. Too slow, too stiff. Just very... Un-Harry-Potterish. In contrary, the English audiobooks (especially read by Stephen Fry) are so fluent, perfectly fast paced and animated. I mean, there is no sounds like doors creaking etc., thank goodness, but the reader really puts himself out there and lives with the story as he reads it. I think especially Stephen Fry does a brilliant job speaking the characters' voices and it makes a huge difference. I think that is one of the reasons why I cannot really listen to the Finnish audiobooks - if you have imagined the characters' voices very different, you just cannot listen to "wrong" voices.

Have you guys listened to the English Harry Potter audiobooks? Does anyone else simply LOVE listening to them in English? Who do you prefer as a reader, Stephen Fry or Jim Dale?
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

Poissa Zenzibar

• Pelastaja katsoi profiiliaan ja läikytti teetä pöydälle
  • Aurori
  • kesäinen-eskapisti-merirosvo-jedi-söpö-skotti
    • Home sweet home
  • Pottermore: BloodNight6399
« Vastaus #70 : Marraskuu 29, 2016, 11:49:51 »
Have you guys listened to the English Harry Potter audiobooks? Does anyone else simply LOVE listening to them in English? Who do you prefer as a reader, Stephen Fry or Jim Dale?

That's a very interesting question you brought up! I, too, think that Finnish audiobooks are just dreadful. For some reason the Finnish language does not sound as good read aloud as some other languages do. To me, at least. I haven't really listened any of the Harry Potter books in any languages, just heard bits and pieces.

I adore Stephen Fry and his voice, so if I were to someday listen to the books, I would definitely choose his versions :DD British accent or Scottish accent or basically any other accent than American sounds so nice, I could probably listen to pretty much anything if the right person was speaking :D
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." -Robin Williams