Kirjoittaja Aihe: Let's discuss Harry Potter!  (Luettu 1792 kertaa)

0 vuotislaista ja 1 Ankeuttaja kyttää tätä aihetta.

Poissa Surkimus

• niin boheemi, kuten sinä
  • Vuotislainen
  • Sukupuoli: Velho
  • Voi löytää onnen kärsimyksestä
  • Tupa: Puuskupuh
Vs: Let's discuss Harry Potter!
« Vastaus #25 : Huhtikuu 13, 2011, 20:38:33 »
Ouch, I want test my english, but I'm afraid....I'm in seventh class, but my english is very bad...

But, I like Harry Potter. I started to read it in last summer, and I read Deadly Hallows in the beginning of autumn. My favorite characters are Fred and George, Remus Lupin, Arthur Weasley and Dobby. When I read Harry Potter, I read it in ships, in my bed, in outside, anywhere! I haven't read Potters after summer. but I'm going to read Potter books again.  

"Tärkeintä ei ole määränpää, vaan se, että nousee kyytiin"

Poissa Affu

• Vuotislainen
  • pullamies
  • Tupa: Mary Sue
« Vastaus #26 : Huhtikuu 13, 2011, 22:16:10 »
Ouch, I want test my english, but I'm afraid....I'm in seventh class, but my english is very bad...

But, I like Harry Potter. I started to read it in last summer, and I read Deadly Hallows in the beginning of autumn. My favorite characters are Fred and George, Remus Lupin, Arthur Weasley and Dobby. When I read Harry Potter, I read it in ships, in my bed, in outside, anywhere! I haven't read Potters after summer. but I'm going to read Potter books again.  
Hey, its okay dude, your english seems just fine to me, not sure about that, because my english is not so good neither :D
Now i've started reading even Agatha Christie in english. I demand you, not to read Christie in english. Please. Its... no one can understand it! Its unreadible..
But hey
My father have read Harry Potters in english. If I remember right, he was in England with my brother, when they published Harry Potter and deathlu Hallows in England. Of course he bought it. If I want start read Harry Potters in english, it will be easy to me, because my father have bought many of them in their original language.
OMFG! O_O
My father only reads some historic books, and.. well. Haha. Kalle Päätalo :D
Its not fair.. I know lots of people reading potters, but no one is over 15. How is that possible? Our village need some education (valistus, in english, right? Yeah, It went wrong), really. Why everything which has wizards or magic inside (unless its LoTr) is childish and stupid?! World isnt fair.
Skäbädäm.
  Vuotiskoomalainen, epämääräisesti ölisee.
Ananas.

Poissa Zenzibar

• Pelastaja katsoi profiiliaan ja läikytti teetä pöydälle
  • Aurori
  • Sukupuoli: Noita
  • kesäinen-eskapisti-merirosvo-jedi-söpö-skotti
    • Home sweet home
  • Pottermore: BloodNight6399
« Vastaus #27 : Huhtikuu 13, 2011, 22:32:37 »
Now i've started reading even Agatha Christie in english. I demand you, not to read Christie in english. Please. Its... no one can understand it! Its unreadible..

Actually, I've read them all -well, no quite, but getting there- in English :D I got carried away after one book about two months ago. They're so short books that they're quick to read and I absolutely LOVE the language in them! 20th century it was so polite -though it is still pretty polite language- and formal and<333 English is so natural to me nowadays, but it bugs me how much mistakes I still make in grammar and pronounciation. Grr.

My mum is going to by all the Harry Potter books in English, for my eighteent birthday! I'm so excited! I just hope that she remembers to order them... :P I intend to read all the books before the last movie, to get myself in the Potter field completely, because I haven't read any of the books in... two years? Maybe... But, we shall see if I get those books in English. Keep your fingers crossed for me! ;)
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." -Robin Williams

Poissa Akai

• In dreams
  • Vuotislainen
  • Lumos!
    • Akai on dA
  • Pottermore: MarauderBlood107
  • Tupa: Rohkelikko
« Vastaus #28 : Huhtikuu 14, 2011, 00:44:45 »
Cool, a topic in English! :) I'll get to use my English skills hehe. Well, I haven't read any of the books in English, but I intend to. We only have the last three books in English, and because I'm too lazy to get the other ones, I'll probably just read Ootp, HBP and DH. I think my problem wouldn't be that I don't understand the storyline of the book, but those words Rowling has made up herself. I don't even remember all those words in Finnish, so no way I'd know them all in English. Another thing which I always have a problem with when I'm reading a story in English, is the description. They always use some strange words and I'm not always familiar with them. :I

Hey, for those who have read at least one of the books both in English and in Finnish, what do you think, is it better or worse in English/Finnish? I'd like to know, because many people say books are always better in their original language.

I may not get many answers for this question, but has anyone of you ever met some actor of the films or J. K. Rowling herself and got the chance to talk with her/him in English..? :D I think that would be awesome, but I'd probably be so stunned that I wouldn't know what to say.
« Viimeksi muokattu: Huhtikuu 14, 2011, 18:28:18 kirjoittanut Akai »
"Kautta Merlinin lötköimpien sepaluspöksyjen" - Ron, KV s. 251

Poissa Guetta

• Vuotislainen
  • Tupa: Luihuinen
« Vastaus #29 : Huhtikuu 14, 2011, 09:21:11 »
Yeah, I can use my rusty or not so rusty English.

Well, I have read all the books in English, after I read them in Finnish. I think that i understood roughly all the words. But I do not have any Harry Potter - book, but really, I would like them in my bookshelf. Zenzibar gave me great idea, when talking about she's mum is going to buy all books to her as a birthday gift. Maybe I can do the same thing, because my birthday is a month's time.  

Back to the topic, I started watching Harry Potter movies & other movies and also TV-shows without subtitles about.. two years ago. I think it's better without subtitles (well, if you understood well English), but it's just my opinion.

Lainaus
Hey, for those who have read at least one of the books both in English and in Finnish, what do you think, is is better or worse in English/Finnish? I'd like to know, because many people say books are always better in their original language.

I think it's better in English. Maybe it's just because it's all original and that stuff and well, maybe some names and spells also sounds better in English. Severus Snape. Hah hah. No, I think that Severus Kalkaros sounds very good too, Kapari did good job with he's name. And with the spells, for example "stupefy" sounds better than "tainnutu". Okay, maybe it's better that I stop my worst explain of "why original is better than translation". But yeah, the original is better if you can understand English and Rowling's words good enough.

Lainaus
I may not get many answers for this question, but has anyone of you ever met some actor of the films or J. K. Rowling herself and got the chance to talk with her/him in English..?

Well, when I was in England (in London), there was an autograph sharing event. And well, there was the one and only, Gary Oldman. I was so damn excited when I heard about it that he's coming to write signatures tomorrow, hell yeah i will be there. When the day came, i went to the event in good time, but well, i wasn't only who thought like that. Finally, when the time came and i had my time queuing, i met him, face to face. Luckily, i had taken my "Feeniksin Kilta" book to the trip as travel reading (damn that i didn't have English version of it) so i asked the autograph on it. And, actually, we chatted a few worlds. When i came out, i thought like "Okay, do not start to levitate (leijumaan ,D)", but damn, it was a hell awesome!(Sorry for my language). I actually met the actor of "Dracula", the actor of "Sirius Black" and the actor of "Commissioner Gordon" (the list keeps going). In today, Gary Oldman is still one of my most favorite actors (with Jim Carrey and Bruce Willis).

Whoa, time flies away so fast, i should go now. See ya !

// I'm so "vibes" of this meeting, like i'm living it again. And I thank this topic and Akai, without them i don't be here, sitting in my chair and remembering the meeting and not at all this good minds. But what I am thinking, is that had I also shooked his hand in there? No, too good to be true, hah hah .D

« Viimeksi muokattu: Huhtikuu 14, 2011, 09:32:00 kirjoittanut Aurinkomatkailija »

Poissa Lupin

• Äitiyslomalla
  • Ylihörhö
    • Vuotis
  • Pottermore: MoonstoneMarauder79
  • Tupa: Korpinkynsi
« Vastaus #30 : Huhtikuu 14, 2011, 09:29:26 »
I agree, it's difficult to read Agatha Christie in English. I think it's because her books are old and language and the style of writing has changed. I have no problems with reading modern books in English, but anything older than about 60 or 70 years tends to give me trouble. I've tried reading classics, like books by Jane Austen and Charles Dickens and Mary Shelley in English, but the language somehow gets in the way of my enjoyment of the story. I don't have the same problem with older books in Swedish or Finnish, so I guess the problem is just my lack of experience of older English.

But back to Harry Potter. Yesterday I bought the Deathly Hallows DVD, and we watched the film in the evening. I don't really like most Harry Potter films, but this one is great. This was the third or fourth time I watched DH1, and I still started crying almost at once. The scene where Hermione erases herself from her parents' lives is heart wrenching...
Äitiyslomalla! Hoidan (hitaalla aikataululla) HP-faneihin ja Vuotiksen Facebook-sivuihin tai Facebook-ryhmään liittyviä asioita.

Poissa Zenzibar

• Aurori
    • Home sweet home
« Vastaus #31 : Huhtikuu 14, 2011, 14:27:17 »
Hey, for those who have read at least one of the books both in English and in Finnish, what do you think, is is better or worse in English/Finnish? I'd like to know, because many people say books are always better in their original language.

I think it really is like that: original is better than translated. Sometimes it can be very hard to get the proverbs and puns correctly in the translation and it immidiately changes the idea and atmosphere in them. There's really nothing you can do about that. But of course, if the knowledge of the original language is bad, there is no point reading it, 'cause the proverbs don't open to the reader anyway...

I GOT MY DH PART 1 DVD TODAY!! I probably watch it later today... nowadays I usually watch dvd:s without subtitels or with English subtitels (perfect way to study, btw! ;)), but Potter films I usually watch with Finnish subtitels, because the spells and rather odd puns don't always open to me right away, and it disturbes my enjoyment during the movie.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." -Robin Williams

Poissa Guetta

• Vuotislainen
« Vastaus #32 : Huhtikuu 14, 2011, 14:41:53 »
Damn, just remembered that Harry Potter DH Part 1 is on demand, I must go soon to buy it and probably watch it in the evening. Like I said before, I usually watch the movies without subtitles and I think that i do the same with this movie. I have seen this movie two times in cinema (with subtitles of course) and I'd like now watch it without them. Well, maybe i just go now and buy it.

Poissa Sakura

• Sudenmorsian
  • Vuotislainen
  • 私は悪魔で執事ですから。
« Vastaus #33 : Huhtikuu 25, 2011, 13:10:27 »
I have read almost all Harry Potters in English. The fifth one is under process and then only last one left. I think Harry Potters are better in English. Translated version is somehow more rude or something like that. I don't find rigth word right now. It's also really nice to read them in English 'cause Rowling has her own jokes (or something like that) there and it's funnier to read them from original version.

I have also seen all theso movies except DH part 2 (surprise surprise). I have also all movies on DVD. My favourite movie is maybe the third one. Sirius is soooo hot. It's pretty hard to write in English but I'm getting better...
信じることさ必ず最後に愛は勝つ。
You've gotta believe that one day love will win.

Poissa Affu

• Vuotislainen
  • pullamies
« Vastaus #34 : Huhtikuu 27, 2011, 08:13:24 »
I agree, it's difficult to read Agatha Christie in English. I think it's because her books are old and language and the style of writing has changed. I have no problems with reading modern books in English, but anything older than about 60 or 70 years tends to give me trouble. I've tried reading classics, like books by Jane Austen and Charles Dickens and Mary Shelley in English, but the language somehow gets in the way of my enjoyment of the story. I don't have the same problem with older books in Swedish or Finnish, so I guess the problem is just my lack of experience of older English.

But back to Harry Potter. Yesterday I bought the Deathly Hallows DVD, and we watched the film in the evening. I don't really like most Harry Potter films, but this one is great. This was the third or fourth time I watched DH1, and I still started crying almost at once. The scene where Hermione erases herself from her parents' lives is heart wrenching...
Yeah, But to me, that scene was too short.. o_o

Naaw, Austen ;)
I've promised to myself that I read even one of her books (Pride and Prejudice!!) or then I'll just watch some tv-version..
Skäbädäm.
Ananas.

Poissa gem

• Vuotislainen
« Vastaus #35 : Toukokuu 03, 2011, 18:24:58 »
I've read the first two in English and I just bought the third one, but I'm currently reading Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, so I think I'll read it first (might take a while though, it's just killing me with all those mile long sentences.. :D) I really like the books better in English, and I was surprised how easily I could read them, I thought they would be more difficult to understand. I also like how the whole spirit of the books changes with the language. For example, I think the English-speaking Ron completely different looking from the Finnish speaking, and all the places look different in my mind in the original books :D But I can't really tell which ones I prefer, originals or translated, because I love them both so much! They are really good in their own way.

Poissa Affu

• Vuotislainen
  • pullamies
« Vastaus #36 : Toukokuu 04, 2011, 20:06:33 »
I think it really is like that: original is better than translated. Sometimes it can be very hard to get the proverbs and puns correctly in the translation and it immidiately changes the idea and atmosphere in them. There's really nothing you can do about that.

You know, thats true. The feeling of the books is different in finnisht than what it is in english. Not sure why its so, but..
The whole atmosphere is so different in english, guess its about the words. For ex. "Ridicculous" and "Naurretavus" (I think I wrote them wrong, right? o__o) are very different words. English is so much more elegant and smooth language than finnish is. "Fly away" and "Lentää pois", phrases sound so different in different languages. English is beautiful language, thats why I like it more than swedish or germany (correct me, please).
Skäbädäm.
Ananas.

Poissa Zirendaril

• Vuotiksen Virallinen Vompatti
  • Reservi
  • Murpatti
« Vastaus #37 : Toukokuu 05, 2011, 23:49:42 »
I've got to see this. I downloaded it but the quality was terrible, when it got dark the screen was a random assortment of pixels and stuff... Talking about HP-movies... I saw Goblet of Fire for something like 20 minutes and it totally blew my mind, and not in a positive sense. Extended ballroom-scene... Like wtf. It seems the director was more interested in ridiculous teen drama than in anything else. Lines like "What got you wand in a knot" and Ron: "Your fraternizing with the enemy!" Hermione: "The Änämäy?!" (wonderful british pronunciation of word enemy and a stupid, overdrastic frown) are legendary, but quite disastrous if analyzed seriously, so to speak. The ballroom scene was almost as incredible as the dueling club scene from The Chamber of Secrets, when Lockhart said: "Alate Asendare" (or something like that, the catch was, that it was translated "Menespoies!"). x_X One can see why it is hard to believe that the new movie is even decent although it probably serves its purpose better than rest of the movies.

Poissa Vispilä

• kermavaahdossa
  • Vuotislainen
  • Pottermore: SkyLight149
« Vastaus #38 : Toukokuu 06, 2011, 20:12:54 »
I've read HBP and DH in English. It isn't so hard that one can imagine, few magical words are just weird but... usually they can be checked from internet. Maybe I should read all books in English, it could be very useful for my studies and - I think - I could get better inside Joanne's head. Some of the jokes don't work in Finnish in the same way as in English, that's also a good reason to read the books in English.
And yes, maybe I should watch all the movies without subtitles (or with Swedish/French subtitles - double profit!) :)
« Viimeksi muokattu: Toukokuu 08, 2011, 21:15:58 kirjoittanut Vispilä »
Tänään on hyvä päivä auttaa.

Poissa tassutöppönen

• The only exception <3
  • Vuotislainen
  • Pottermore: CatRain16320
  • Tupa: Rohkelikko
« Vastaus #39 : Toukokuu 08, 2011, 18:34:54 »
My friend bought Prisoner of Azkaban and she said I can read it too. But she doesn't read very fast and now I just wait.

English is beautiful languange and I really like it. More than Finnish, Germany or Swedish. Movies doesn't teach anything because the lines are short. That's why I like read books. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Tief was my first English book. Now I spend my time to looking for English books.

J. K. Rowling's words are hard to read sometimes. But always is Internet and google translater...=) I wonder why spells are translated. Original words are more...like magic. "Expelliarmus" sounds stronger than "karkotaseet".

-Tassu
~She lives in a fairytale somewhere too far for is to find~

Poissa Zenzibar

• Aurori
    • Home sweet home
« Vastaus #40 : Toukokuu 08, 2011, 20:09:27 »
Movies doesn't teach anything because the lines are short. That's why I like read books.

I have to disagree on this. I wouldn't be nearly as good in English if I hadn't watched so much movies! Movies can teach you how to act in formal or informal situations, you can learn puns and proverbs and such very easily from the movies. You learn how to pronunciate words and how to use language smoothly in speech - books mostly teach you the formal, literary language, but like in Finnish, it's not as nice to speak standard language as colloquial language.

Phew! I sounded very preaching... I'm just so grateful about the knowledge in English that I've gained from movies that I just couldn't keep quiet :D Of course books taught you how to write properly and if you think about the final exams, you need more literary English than colloquial, but still movies really can teach you much!

I've started to read all the HP-books in English, I hope I have enough time to read them all before the last movie... I'm pretty fast reader, but I have so much else going on too...

Poissa Affu

• Vuotislainen
  • pullamies
« Vastaus #41 : Toukokuu 15, 2011, 10:48:43 »
Thats also true.
I watched the first movie when I was like 5, and didnt understand a heck of it :'D
Well, then, few years later I started to read dah books. I was in library, and saw the books. "Whoa, I've seen this movie!"; Movies are brilliant. Many readers wouldnt be reading the books if there werent any movies. Including me. I would've been missed many awesome books if there wasnt any movies, like twilight. I hadnt never heard of it, before the movie came out.
Skäbädäm.
Ananas.

Poissa Queen

• raivostuttavan positiivinen
  • Vuotislainen
  • Pottermore: HeartBlade125
  • Tupa: Puuskupuh
« Vastaus #42 : Heinäkuu 07, 2011, 16:46:25 »
I have all the seven books in my shelf, and the plan is to finish them all.

Okay. I had to quote myself, because I realised I had made a mistake there. At the time I didn't have all the books in English, but now I do! ;) I just got the last one today and probably start reading it in a minute.

So, I read the six first books in English, and when I noticed I didn't have the Deathly Hallows, I ordered it right away. In the meantime I read it in Finnish. :D I just couldn't wait the English version. Yes, I'm very patient person, I know.

I have to say it was weird reading the last book in Finnish after reading the previous ones in English. Actually it was kinda hard. :D Many names had been translated, and it made me very confused. x) But now I get to read it in English! Yay!
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Poissa Hiekkalaatikko

• pelle (suom. lapio)
  • Vuotislainen
« Vastaus #43 : Heinäkuu 26, 2011, 11:00:35 »
I don´t own any of those 7 books but I have borrowed two first ones from my cousin. I´m going to borrow more if they just wanna lend them. Movies are also good but I think books are even better though I haven´t read all of them.

Poissa Adéa

• On
  • Reservi
  • Uruz
  • Tupa: Tuvaton
« Vastaus #44 : Heinäkuu 30, 2011, 12:20:28 »
I've been reading Harry Potters in english since the fifth book came out. I actually haven't read the last to Potters in finnish although I always say I have read the Potters in both languages. Big old liar that's what I am! During this summer I have started to read the books again and I realized that I haven't read the Prisoner of Azkaban or Goblet of Fire in english though they have been collecting dust in the shelf for ages. My bad, I've been correcting this foul mistake and one night I read the Prisoner of Azkaban half-way through.

I have to admit that there's been a long pause since I read the older books so I have been forgetting a lot of stuff. In the second book I had completely forgot Gilderoy Lockhart's Valentine's day festivities which were hilarious! I just kept laughing at the image of Harry Potter being tackled by a dwarf dressed as an angel. This is why I love the books, J.K. Rowling creates uncredible scenes that make you laugh and cry. Sometimes they make you laugh so hard you actually cry too. Incredible books I say.

Since I have always been rather lazy in school watching movies is the reason why I have done as well as I have. I got magna cum laude (m) from the english matriculation exam due to movies and reading Harry Potter in english. I prepared myself to the test by watching english movies with english subtitles and I think that  due to that preparation I got higher points on the hearing part than the written exam. Grammar studies have never been my cup of tea so at least I found a way to study english in a way that suits me. I think I have pretty good conversational skills in english which I try to use as often as possible so that my skills wouldn't get rusty.

Recently I've been on a quest called "try to find the last to Potters second handed" but apparently nobody wants to give their Potters away :/  I don't know why I want to find them used but it's become oddly important to me.
Mens agitat molem.

Poissa Affu

• Vuotislainen
  • pullamies
« Vastaus #45 : Elokuu 01, 2011, 22:34:28 »
Hey, how about that pottermore?
Skäbädäm.
Ananas.

Poissa Zenzibar

• Aurori
    • Home sweet home
« Vastaus #46 : Elokuu 01, 2011, 23:45:08 »

You can discuss Pottermore as well, of course!

I've decided to wait until October, because I have so much else to do - though I'm still bored all the time... krhm - and because I'm just not as excited as some others seem to be. I dunno, call me a bad fan, but for now, I'm fine with books and movies and -ofc!!!- Vuotis ;)

But you guys who have waited to answer the questions and then anxiously updated your e-mail to see if the acceptance mail has reached you, was it worth it? What do you expect from Pottermore? How about your English? Are you worried, that you might not understand everything, but want to try anyway?

Stage is yours, fire away! :DD

Poissa Suvituuli

• Tsirp tsirp krääk titityy.
  • Vuotislainen
  • You're not mating with me, sunshine!
  • Pottermore: AccioDream**
  • Tupa: VOLDEMORT!!!
« Vastaus #47 : Elokuu 02, 2011, 11:07:57 »
--and because I'm just not as excited as some others seem to be.
I wasn't excited at all yesterday, but then I just randomly opened Pottermore's first page and I saw the question! I didn't mean to sing up, only look if the question was there, but I thought that this is the only moment today when you can do that and I became panicked; what if the registration time is going to end while I'm watching? So I had to find the answer quickly and now I'm one of that lucky million people who can see Pottermore several weeks later.

Lainaus
But you guys who have waited to answer the questions and then anxiously updated your e-mail to see if the acceptance mail has reached you, was it worth it? What do you expect from Pottermore? How about your English? Are you worried, that you might not understand everything, but want to try anyway?
I think it was worth it. I don't really expect anything but the feeling that I really am one of the "few" was so good and also I'm quite bad waiting for something. It would've been had for me to wait till October! :D The reason why I didn't wait the e-mail so badly is that it came one hour after I had singed up. Actually, I don't know what there will be on Pottemore, so the mail wasn't so important to me :D
I'm not very talented writer but I understand English almost perfectly. That's why I'm not afraid if I'm going to understand Pottermore or not. Only the writing part could be hard for me but reading not :)
« Viimeksi muokattu: Elokuu 02, 2011, 12:07:32 kirjoittanut Suvituuli »
Se hyppi ja pomppi, söi ja nauroi. Se istui ja itki. Se ilmassa leijui.
Outo heppu, kummajainen, vailla mieltä ja ruumista.
Itketään yhdessä, olemattomuudessa, ihan yksin.
Jos sinulle sopii, se minulle käy

Poissa Affu

• Vuotislainen
  • pullamies
« Vastaus #48 : Elokuu 02, 2011, 11:57:30 »
Oh gosh I want to see what that whole "pottermore" is :/
It has something to do with ME, the reader, or something? o____o
I believe its gonna be kind a "Choose your own adventure" -like online e-book. I wish. I think. Im not sure.
Skäbädäm.
Ananas.

Poissa Hiekkalaatikko

• pelle (suom. lapio)
  • Vuotislainen
« Vastaus #49 : Elokuu 08, 2011, 19:21:22 »

You can discuss Pottermore as well, of course!

I've decided to wait until October, because I have so much else to do - though I'm still bored all the time... krhm - and because I'm just not as excited as some others seem to be. I dunno, call me a bad fan, but for now, I'm fine with books and movies and -ofc!!!- Vuotis ;)

Stage is yours, fire away! :DD

Oh, you decided to wait October like me. Okay, i wanted to sign up that place but i was whole week at camp and the last day question was at 3-5am or something like it. No thanks. And Zenzibar.. wtf? Bad fan? I haven´t even read all books.. yet.  Started to read Order of Phoenix this day. Could take whole week for me because of its 1050 pages, wow!

As you can see, my english isnt so bad neither so good but i will survive with it :). I have some friends from other countries and the main language we speak is english so thats good training :). Still cant wait till October and pottermore. Maybe we may have some information of pottermore before its going to start.